Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, OH MY!


Today, I went to walmart and found some "Pie Pumpkins" that were produced in the USA *Yay!*. They were for 50 cents a pound. I purchased five of them. Not sure how many I am going to need to make the pie but I will let you know!

I am writing this blog as I make Roasted pumpkin seeds and Pumpkin pie!

I carved Jack-o-lanterns today, with my kids. My four year old assisted me in the annoying chore of separating the seeds from the core of the pumpkin. We finished with about two cups of seeds.


I have now drained the seeds, and spread them in one layer on a baking sheet. Here is a photo of the seeds getting nice and roasty inside of my oven! 

Pumpkin seeds are now finished! I have them cooling on the counter. Here is a photo of the finished product!

Now that the pumpkin seeds are cooling, I am going to finish putting away and washing the never ending dishes! Then I will start the pumpkin pie. Crust and pie all from scratch! I will also be sharing more recipe's!


Now onto the pumpkin pie!!!! It is best to use "Pie Pumpkins" Due to the pie pumpkins are sweeter and more suitable for pies.


I took one pie pumpkin, removed the stem, and cut it in half.


I then took an icecream scoop and scooped out the insides.


I am short on microwaveable bowls with lids. so here is my version. A glass mixing bowl with a ceramic plate... hey, it works!
I took the pumpkin and cut it in half again so i have 4 quarters. I cut it again so the pumpkin fits nicely inside of the bowl. I added a couple inches of water in the bottom of the bowl and put it in the microwave for 15 min. Here is a photo of my bowl concotion in the microwave.



Wooo weee, The pumpkin was hot!!!! Your probly thinking... DUH! HA! I just have to laugh at myself sometimes.

When I pulled the pumpkin out of the microwave and lifted up the plate (lid) the lid was boiling steam on it. I picked at the crust a little and the curst (skin) just peeled right off!







Being very careful, I used a serving spoon and scooped the pumpkin out of its skin and into my food processor.

I then put the food processor on high and ended up with my "pumpkin gloop"


Wow, That was easy enough! This is just one "Pie pumpkin"


Next is to make a single pie crust. The recipe I am using can be found by clicking here!






I then mixed together the following ingredients!


1 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground allspice

one half teaspoon ground ginger

4 large eggs

3 cups pumpkin goo "sieved, cooked pumpkin"

1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk  ~ note for those in France: evaporated milk in France is called "lait concentre'"; "lait evapore'" is powder)

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional) (metric: 20 grams)


After mixing the ingredients, I ended up with this :)


Bake at 425 F (210 C ) for the first 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 F ( 175 C ) and bake another 45 to 60 minutes, until a clean knife inserted into the center comes out clean.


The first 15 min has passed, Since the temperture drops anyways, I lowered the temp, Opened the door, snapped a photo, then shut the door again. Here is the photo after 15 min.


Well, I wanted to make a nice presentation of the final product... But as you can see from the next picture, my husband was too impatient to wait for the pie to set up, I was trying to take a photo of it right out of the oven and he wanted to cut himself a piece of it. Half of the pie is already gone and it just came from the oven about 30 min ago.




2 comments:

  1. Great photos. Clear info. Nice layout. Super blog, Dezarae'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout and photos.

    Pies don't last more than five minutes after cooling here in my house.

    I have pie pictures on my blog www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete