Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Homespun Yarn - Strawberry Shortcake

Hello world! over the last couple of days, I have been working with my spinning wheel. I recieved my spinning wheel for my birthday in june (2010). In the beginning I was defeted. I struggled with consistancy, drafting, getting the yarn to go to the bobbin, ect. Hours and hours of working on the wheel, I am FINALLY starting to make strings that actually resemble yarn! I am a perfectionist. So I want to continue to work with it to master it. Only time will sharpen my skills. I am actually pretty proud of my pink yarn (which is now known as Strawberry shortcake). I spun a total of 158 yards of worsted weight yarn.  The fiber in which I am spinning is Corriedale sheep wool. This wool was what came with my spinning wheel purchase. This was also my first attempt with plying (still have a lot of work to do to perfect it). So to you spinners out there that make beautiful yarn, please dont be too critical of my -not even close to a masterpiece- yarn. I hand dyed this yarn on my stove as well. here are the photos of the process.

Enjoy the photos!



Here are Corriedale Sheep wearing the little coats that keep their wool clean.  If you don’t have these coats on your Corriedales the wool gets stinking filthy!


My Kromski Minstrel Spinning wheel aka Penelope. Down towards the bottom you can see the full bobbin, and I am working on the bobbin to ply with.


A full bobbin of yarn.

Here is a photo of 158 yards of plyed yarn being dyed (approx 1 tsp of dye simmered for aprox 30min)

Yarn is taking the color very well! So happy with the result!


The yarn after dying and rinsing the yarn. Ready to dry now.


Close up of my perfect imperfections.

Hung to dry! Not sure what to make with it yet, But i have my eye on a pair of mittens. :)


2 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! I wish I could afford a spinning wheel :(
    ~Tonka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, I am so critical of my work. I guess I figure If i am critical of it other people's critisism wont bother me that much, but I think I just worry too much lol.

    ReplyDelete